Re: [chrony-users] gpsd, pps and chrony

On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 01:43:24PM -0700, Bill Unruh wrote:
> I cannot remember if chrony allows an offset fudge as
> ntpd does--ie telling
> chrony that this particular source is always 300ms off.

That's what the offset option in the refclock directive does.

> I really do not like kernel PPS. I think it is far better to have everything
> going through the same route-- namely chrony or ntpd, and not have some time
> sources disciplining the clock via ntpd and others via the kernel. It feels
> like running chrony and ntpd at the same time.

The chrony's refclock driver uses the PPSAPI just to get the
timestamps collected by kernel, the clock is still discplined only by
chrony. What you are probably referring to is the kernel PPS
discipline, called kernel consumer, it's basically a FLL with 1 sec
polling interval and it has to be enabled by a PPSAPI call. Chrony
doesn't do that.

> If there is going to be a fix, it should be within gpsd, and not within chrony
> or ntpd.

I agree, it could be a database of delays for known broken GPS
units/firmwares.

---