Re: [chrony-dev] Drop cmdmon authentication?

On Mon, Apr 27, 2015 at 09:31:00AM -0700, Bill Unruh wrote:
> Oops forgot to say
>
> chrony-1.31

Why not 2.0? :)

> >I am confused about the command key and the generatecommandkey command.
> >I get
> >1 SHA HEX:....
> >followed by a stream of random digits ending with FEB14.
> >But I now have no idea how to use this to control chronyd. If I enter the
> >string HEX:.... I get "Reply not authenticated".

The generated key is SHA1 (MD5 is default for chronyc), so you will
need to set authhash before entering the password.

authhash SHA1
password HEX:......

> >Ie, I have no idea
> >what the actual generated key is, or what I type into the password command in
> >chronyc. I think the docs need an addition telling the user what to do with
> >the generated key. I just found under the password command a statement
> >that I am just supposed to
> >use that HEX:.... as the password, but that does not work as mentioned above.

If the key was MD5, it would work. I guess the password command
description should refer to the authhash command to make this clear.