Re: [chrony-dev] tracking report when not connected to anything misleading

On Tue, 28 Apr 2015, Miroslav Lichvar wrote:

On Mon, Apr 27, 2015 at 08:56:22AM -0700, Bill Unruh wrote:

I am noticing a strange behaviour. Using server  pool.ntp.org iburst
in /etc/chrony.conf

I get if I run chronyc and then sourcestats
210 Number of sources = 1
Name/IP Address            NP  NR  Span  Frequency  Freq Skew  Offset  Std Dev
resntp-b-vip.lon.bitfolk.   1   0     0     +0.000   2000.000     +0ns  4000ms

Clearly no connection.

An older chrony version worked fine in the same configuration?

Sorry, no idea. The machine is a new one with the latest chrony from Mageia on
it which is the 1.31.1 version, and is remote from me. It is possible that it had been brought out of hibernation a while before (
but I suspect at least half an hour before) when I connected. About 20 min
later it was starting to get data from the source, and it behaved normally
thereafter.

My main problem was that the reporting of the tracking seemed to me to be
misleading.

It might help to see the chronyd -d -d debug output (when chronyd is
configured and compiled with the --enable-debug option).

and if I do tracking

chronyc> tracking
Reference ID    : 0.0.0.0 ()
Stratum         : 0
Ref time (UTC)  : Thu Jan  1 00:00:00 1970
System time     : 0.000000001 seconds slow of NTP time
Last offset     : -0.000580443 seconds
RMS offset      : 0.001692938 seconds
Frequency       : 0.817 ppm slow
Residual freq   : +0.000 ppm
Skew            : 0.000 ppm
Root delay      : 0.000000 seconds
Root dispersion : 0.000000 seconds
Update interval : 512.2 seconds
Leap status     : Not synchronised

Hm, the update interval is quite long. How long has chronyd been
running? Was there a system suspend or something stepping the clock?
That would cause chronyd to drop all measurements and start from
scratch. There should be a message in the syslog if that's what
happened.

Clearly there is no connection to the source at all. But the tracking still
seems to indicate that everything is fine, when clearly it is not. Ie it is
telling me that the system time is exactly on, etc. although the
Reference ID clearly says something is wrong. There should be more of an
indication in tracking that nothing is being tracked.

The leap status says it's unsynchronised, but from the non-zero offset
values it looks like at some point it was.

It could well have been before the hibernation.