Re: [chrony-dev] adjusting frequency on the basis of temperature

Hi Ed,

> Out of curiousity, whilst I doubt Amazon will deliver you one tomorrow,
> is a GPS an option to get a time fix?

Yes GPS is certainly an option, and our new hardware (currently
en-route to Antarctica) has it.

> I presume you are stuck with fairly low speed satellite connections
> with large latencies, so kind of surprised that you can get decently
> accurate internet ntp updates?

The ping times are typically over a second, but are reasonably
reproducible.

> Out of curiousity, apart from Iridium, how else are you getting internet
> down there?

That's it. We are currently using 2400-baud Iridium modems, but are
about to try using an Iridium OpenPort system, which has much higher
bandwidth (by simultaneously using a large number of Iridium
channels).

Cheers,
Michael