Re: [chrony-dev] adjusting frequency on the basis of temperature

Hi Michael

Out of curiousity, apart from Iridium, how else are you getting internet
down there?
That's it. We are currently using 2400-baud Iridium modems, but are
about to try using an Iridium OpenPort system, which has much higher
bandwidth (by simultaneously using a large number of Iridium
channels).

<shameless-plug>

My company builds optimisation services for satellite phone users (ie Iridium, Inmarsat, etc), in particular for email, weather and the more household kind of needs (we are also Iridium VAD's). Website is at http://www.mailasail.com

Our latest project is an inexpensive hardware router which will try and incorporate as much of this acceleration software as possible, and in fact in fact you are probably very much part of the target market we are trying to design it for? I would be quite interested to pick your brains (perhaps offlist) on some of your experiences using Iridium and in particular the kinds of uses you put it to? Would you consider talking a bit more off-list about infrastrutures? We would be quite interested to find beta testers for new equipment?

I'm also kind of surprised, but heartened that you manage to get a stable enough ping speed to use chrony over it! I can only assume that this is because the number of satellite hops remains fairly fixed between your location and Iridium? If you look at the way Iridium routes most calls you can see that the routing distance can change quite considerably over a few tens of minutes - certainly I observe the ping speeds to be fairly variable (I'm in the UK)

The OpenPort should bring your costs down significantly, plus you get three voice channels. Should be a very nice upgrade for you.

Please consider getting in touch off-list - would love to chat more about your setup!

All the best

Ed W

</shameless-plug>