Re: [chrony-dev] 1.24 ready?

On Fri, 29 Jan 2010, Bill Unruh wrote:

OK, I have compiled the latest version, and do not get the error reports below
anymore. No idea what was happening there.

I am trying to figure out what the problem below is. I certainly get those error messages below, but have no idea why I am getting them. certainly the ownership of the .tmp file is identical to the chrony.drift
file, and I am still getting all those error messages. I will do some more
digging.

On Fri, 29 Jan 2010, Miroslav Lichvar wrote:

 On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 08:57:41AM -0800, Bill Unruh wrote:
> One minor bug report-- the chown of the rtc and drift files leaves > hundreds of
>  messages in syslog

 I don't see it here, when running under root or chrony user.

> Jan 24 04:03:13 info chronyd[4328]: Could not change ownsership of drift > file
>  /var/lib/chrony/chrony.drift.tmp

 Is this is with the git version? In reference.c there shouldn't be
 "ownsership". (I think this was the typo in the original patch you
 sent.)

>  (I now have 13000 lines like this in my syslog of the last 5 days.)
> This is with chronyd running as root, and what seems to be happening is > that
>  the old and new files already have identical ownership and chown is
>  objecting to a "change" which is no change at all. I think we need
>  to check if the ownership needs changing and to only change it
> if it needs changing. Also, if the system is running as chrony rather > than as
>  root, to only try changing the group.

 Chown should return zero here even when the owner stays the same.