Re: [vhffs] new perl script to track perl modules dependencies

Le lundi 05 mars 2007 à 08:47 +0100, Sébastien Le Ray a écrit :
> Le Sun, 04 Mar 2007 23:08:08 +0100,
> Alexandre Ghisoli <alexandre.ghisoli@xxxxxxx> a écrit :
>
> > Hi ppl,
> Hi
> >
> > While working on the autotools version of vhffs (where you can use
> > configure and friends), I've noticed that I cannot use anymore the
> > perl modules dependencies test in current Makefile.
> >
> > So, there is a new perl file that could help tracking dependencies and
> > auto-install them on the system, via perl CPAN or any user's provided
> > command.
> >
> > The new script is quite different, it let you specify wich vhffs
> > component you want to check, or the whole stuff.
> >
> > I've parsed all perl files to track dependencies, but I could missed
> > few.
> >

> > Take a look and feel free to suggest / comment.
>
> It sounds cool but the main supported distrib is debian, maybe we could
> modify the script to support this distrib. As far as I understand, you
> can specify a command but it will be called with the packagename as an
> argument (apt-get install MIME::Lite) which won't work. Maybe we could
> improve the existing hash : {component} -> {module} -> {distrib} ->
> {package name (or command)}...

Sébastien,

I can understand that vhffs is debian centric, but if you want more
adopters, you should make it more open to others distribs.

You should probably take care of dependencies in a .dep packages, and
not in a makefile.
(take a look in my ebuild, dependencies are managed directly by the
system package management .. much more elegant).

To get more vhffs developers, users and happy customers, this project
need to stick more to the commons OOS rules ;) (this is why I'm working
on configure autotools ...)

At the end, I can add the hash you speak about, this is not a big deal.

In the same time, is there any specific module version that we should
take care of (ex. DBI 1.43, ...) ?

Best regards

--
        Alexandre