Re: Nimrod

Hi frederic,

Perhaps, we will begin our evening of questions and answers.
Answers to many of your questions are easy to find at a SliTaz forum
in my topic dedicated of the Nimrod. On this topic, and began war was
not weak ;)
Here is the link: http://forum.slitaz.org/topic/nimrod-the-great

Out of respect for the interlocutor, I will answer all your questions here.

2012/7/26 guilbault frederic <fredericguilbault@xxxxxxx>:
> Is Nimrod have been choose regarding the global and long term needs of
> slitaz compared to all the aviable programing language ? i thing that the
> way it soud be done.

Do not I have picked a programming language. This was done by Brenton
Edgar Scott also known as Trixar_za. I think that we'll hear his
thoughts about the choice of language among others.

If I had to make that choice, in addition, based on long-term needs of
SliTaz, I could not answer absolutely nothing certain. Global issues —
not to me. For this is good old team. The opinions of team members:

* erjo: Nice job.
* domcox:  the speed gain when running Tazpkg is amazing, but I'm very
reluctant to see Tazpkg rewritten in Nimrod, mainly for philosophical
reasons
* erjo: @Aleksej: If you wish http://hg.slitaz.org/nim-tools/
* godane: I prefer we just stick to bash code and just make the bash
code better.
* Naitsirhc: I have been doing more and more work in nimrod lately
* Pascal Bellard: A package is available in undigest:
http://mirror.slitaz.org/packages/undigest/nimrod-0.8.14.tazpkg

In addition, I have to admit that I would not be planning future of
SliTaz. But I trust those who are doing it. If I started planning,
then at this point would end the main rule for me, "Just for fun!" and
would have remained just a job. Work soon began to be hated. And I
could not do unloved work on a voluntary basis.

> aslo is it possible to make a flavor with nimrod to let the people see and
> decide later to include it on the main distro. i think that coud be a way to
> let people try and decide before.

…flavor with nimrod…

I do not quite understand.

Flavor is a SliTaz ISO file containing certain set of packages — all
the binaries, libraries and other stuff. Right? I think we do not need
it. Because I just changed the two scripts in one package and added a
binary file.

Nimrod is programming language. Nimrod is compiler. Compiled programs
are statically linked and do not require the installation of Nimrod
compiler for their work. Nimrod compiler is not necessary for most
users. Nimrod compiler is needed only for developers to compile
programs.

Developers and users can download the package and install it into
their system, rather than start again settle SliTaz from scratch,
using the flavor.

…to let the people see…

Everyone can see attached package at the
http://forum.slitaz.org/topic/nimrod-the-great and install they.
It would be nice to write a receipt for the current version, but I'm
afraid to do it ;)

…to include it on the main distro…

No, no! Please do not raise this issue again! This package will never
be included in the main distribution. I mean any package rewritten
using Nimrod's code chunks. During these days I have heard many
unpleasant for me naked truth. I do not want to controversy continued.
I do not want to because of this, someone left the team. Developers
are not so much, and we must listen to the opinions of each other.

Let SliTaz is still itself. Built on the best traditions, KISS, based
on scripts that are understandable to all users and developers. Let it
never be based on the incomprehensible, random, visitant language. Let
SliTaz is still itself.

So, my (or, our?) development will never be included in the main
distribution. Just let it exist. I think that for this project the
most appropriate place — in Undigest repo. While development I will
use the repository, courtesy provided to me by erjo. If this will
unacceptable, I will use the BitBucket repo.

> Finnaly, in the past, some people hade keept informations, code, and acces
> to exerce authority on others devlopers and project(i dont say that was a
> good thing or not ).but this is a fact.
>
>  using compiled code allow oportunity to keep source code hidden. this have
> to be considered.

I can not quite understand these sentences. Sorry. Something about sources.

I never hid my sources. The source of the original version can be
found with the package here:
http://forum.slitaz.org/topic/nimrod-the-great
The current development process is here: http://hg.slitaz.org/nim-tools/

Finally, I must say that the development from my side go slowly. All
this because my vacation is over and now I have only two free days a
week. Today is just the second day, but all I wanted for these days —
is sleep. So, I'm sorry.

Trixarian (Brenton Scott) was created repo to develop nimrod code
here: https://github.com/slitaz but I do not see any contribution so
far. Also, Christian Mesh (Naitsirhc) said that conducts its own
development. But so far I have seen only one related procedure from
he. I hope that in the near future we will be able to see their code,
and all interested persons can join.

My plans for the near future, along with Nimrod:
I'm not going to rewrite TazPanel's scripts to Nimrod, as this is
quite simple. It's more routine work, and a matter of time. I was much
more interesting to deal with other developments, which no one before
me was not engaged. The first thing I want to write a procedures for
the internationalization of programs written in Nimrod.

Then, I'll rewrite pkgs.slitaz.org, because now the script is
ineffective. It worked long and very heavy server. I think that the
server can not cope with any more or less severe stress, using the
current script. Catching up with pkgs.slitaz.org I will not interfere
guys engage with rewriting TazPkg or SPK.

Thank you for your questions. Up to new meetings!

--
Know: excessive quoting is evil ;D