Re: 4.0 or not ? Cookiso, website, doc

On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 2:20 PM, Christophe Lincoln <pankso@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Hugs thanks for testing.
>
>> OK got the following files on RC1:
>>
>> 10-ServerLayout
>> 20-Files
>> 30-Module
>> 40-evdev              # I might have got the case wrong on some
>> 40-keyboard
>> 50-Monitor
>> 60-Device
>> 70-Screen.conf
>>
>> All of them empty, apart from edev and keyboard
>>
>> I notice tazx actually creates these files, would having just a plain
>> xorg.conf make any difference?
>
> Yes my friend! It was I think from yesterday night thes must be full. If
> you do a simple Xorg -configure you will get a plain xorg.conf with all
> settings. It's why it work for on second try but not on first boot. Now
> I dont realy know why we switch to all thes files instead of one main
> Xorg config, guess it's because other distro do that. I can't remenber
> who did theses change but it was not in 3.0 so all Xorg problems may be
> related to that, mabe I say, not sure.
>
> I will digg into Hg and see if we should use one centalized config for
> Xorg. By the way I just pushed an RC3 if you want to try. And from now
> all iso will have a log created by cookiso.
>
> http://mirror.slitaz.org/iso/cooking/slitaz-4.0-RC3.iso
> http://mirror.slitaz.org/iso/cooking/slitaz-4.0-RC3.md5
> http://mirror.slitaz.org/iso/cooking/slitaz-4.0-RC3.log
>
> - Christophe
>
> --

This is normal, no reason to change tazx.
/etc/init.d/system.sh
Line 90 =>tazbox boot
Starts xorg-server before
Line 135=> tazx config-xorg 2>/var/log/xorg.configure.log
fi
If xorg-server is able to auto-configure screen 0 when it's started by Line 90
When tazx runs X -configure it fails because xorg-server has screen 0 running
When X -configure fails there is no xorg.conf.new
This results in these files being blank:
10-ServerLayout
20-Files
30-Module
40-evdev
40-keyboard
50-Monitor
60-Device
70-Screen.conf

/var/log/xorg.configure.log :
Fatal server error:
Server is already active for display 1
	If this server is no longer running, remove /tmp/.X1-lock
	and start again.
sed: /root/xorg.conf.new: No such file or directory
sed: /root/xorg.conf.new: No such file or directory
sed: /root/xorg.conf.new: No such file or directory
sed: /root/xorg.conf.new: No such file or directory
sed: /root/xorg.conf.new: No such file or directory
sed: /root/xorg.conf.new: No such file or directory
rm: can't remove '/root/xorg.conf.new': No such file or directory

Testing with 4.0-RC3 20120316 4in1 rolling iso :

Nvidia 8400gs:
Boots to desktop with included nv driver,direct rendering with
software. Installing the nvidia-173xx driver, provides direct
rendering to hardware with no additional depends.

Ati "HD5450" "Radeon 9550" "rage2c" :
Boots to desktop with vesa driver,installation of ati driver provides
direct rendering with software.
No direct rendering to hardware solution.

Intel 945GM/GMS Dell Inspiron E1505:
Frequently freezes on boot requiring hard poweroff unless nomodeset is used..
When it will boot (1 of 5 attempts)without locking up it has direct
rendering to hardware.
When booting nomodeset it will get a screen using the vesa driver only.
intel driver fails to get screen.

My recommendation is go back to xorg-server-light , which does not
have libdrm,linux-drm as depends, omit the dri stuff, but leave
xorg-xf86-video-{intel nv ati} drivers.

Unless someone is able to get the xfce flavor to boot on hardware
please remove it from the mirrors.

-Mojo