Re: Changes for 4.0-RC2

On 25/02/2012 11.14, Christophe Lincoln wrote:

Hi all,

So we got a lot of feedback about our 4.0-RC1 and we need to make some
change for RC2. The main bug is Xorg and my unfamous xorg-server-light
that I have stripped down to avoid mesa and friends on the LiveCD.

I saw that users wich can't get X with the core and used the devel
flavor was then happy because X worked out-of-the-box. So not tousand
of solution: we need full Xorg with DRI/DRM support and some drivers
such as ati, geode, nv, intel.

On size side we are going to have a ISO at 36Mb. That said, last
cooking was at 30Mb, without additionnal packages we at 33-34 Mb with
RC1 so we got 3Mb of bloated stuff. Webkit got 1,2 Mb bigger...

Going to 36Mb is no longer a problem since with the new 4in1 we can
boot old machine in text mode, just with X or just with GTK.

I guess these 3Mb are ther because the chroot on Tabk was not clean,
not updated and so packages linked to unwanted installed libbrarie.
Gnumeric is a good example, it never ever needed GConf but is now
linked to it just because GConf and GConf-dev was installed in the
chroot but should not be part of the basic build chroot.

Any other changes you want to see in RC2 ?

- Christophe

Hi all,
I know it's probably too late now, but what about using a "Long Time Support" Linux kernel for next SliTaz version. In this way we can get kernel updates for long time.
At the moment the most recent "LTS" version of the kernel is 3.0.
Why don't use this version instead of 2.6.37 which seems not maintained any more?

Best regards
Luca