Re: Next Cooking or RC - Few questions

On Wed, 27 Apr 2011 17:30:03 -0700
Indigo <pointofavailability@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Whatever the case, the KISS philosophy should be as much about
> usability as it is development.  I'm one of the many users who wants a
> small, lightweight distro that works OOTB and has the basic features
> Slitaz already includes.

I agree, SliTaz is probably as small as it can get without a major
overhaul. Using uclibc might work, but it will require recompiling
everything over into it to benefit from the smaller binaries it may
produce.

Using compiled programs will only help as much as being able to cut out
the dialog programs like gtkdialog. It's not a really big space saver,
but the speed will be a noticeable.

Ultimately, we should keep going back to the KISS philosophy like you
said. Just look at the route pankso took with the creation of TazWeb
and Tazpanel. We needed simpler and lighter solutions for both, so he
created them. Maybe something similar can be done for other things as
well. Like I've always wanted to create a simple GTK IRC client that
just works. Maybe I should create it for SliTaz to replace the terrible
lostirc.