Re: Next Cooking or RC - Few questions

Hmmm, comparing compressed packages sizes (which can be comparable to
iso compressed space used), you get the following:
nano = 85kb
leafpad = 34kb
beaver = 69kb
vi = none if busybox version is used

Interesting to note that nano is the biggest comparively. But this
doesn't include the extra packages required by any of the packages.
I still prefer nano over vi even though I've learned to use vi now for
the likes of visudo.

I also believe the kernel panic isn't directly SliTaz's fault. Just
read the change log with each Linux Kernel release and note how much
support gets drop to the way side. Sometimes it returns and sometimes
it doesn't... I remember a certain bug with some bluetooth devices
after their supporting code were dropped from the Kernel entirely. And
yeah, this was on Ubuntu before you ask.

I also believe the same about X.org issues. I have a friend that can't
use the latest Ubuntu because of X.org auto-config issues. So as you
can see, our problems aren't just our own. Other distros are suffering
from the same problems and it shouldn't be used as an excuse not to
release a RC.

Alternatively, we could take the route of some Puppy distros and
stick with an Older Kernel for better older hardware support. We can
also use xvesa or tinyx to avoid using X.org completely. That will give
us the ability to run on older hardware, but we'll lose out on the
latest kernel bug fixes, the flexiablity that x.org offers (xvesa
doesn't work with wide screen resolutions) and ultimately support for
the latest hardware. Yep, we'd pretty much be Puppy or DSL...