Re: [cooking] booting loram-cdrom on usb ( was: [cooking] various boot modes, successes and failures)

On 28/12/2010 21:44, pascal.bellard@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
I open a new thread,

On 25/12/2010 18:36, pascal.bellard@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hi,

Can you try the following (I assume your usb key is /dev/usbkey, it
should
be /dev/sda, /dev/sdb or /dev/sdc, see
http://doc.slitaz.org/en:guides:dvd#hybrid-iso too)

# wget http://mirror.slitaz.org/iso/undigest/slitaz-core-loram-cdrom.iso
# dd if=slitaz-core-loram-cdrom.iso of=/dev/usbkey
( or 'cp slitaz-core-loram-cdrom.iso /dev/usbkey')
# fdisk /dev/usbkey ...

And try to boot from the usb key.

-pascal

Yes, I did, but I don't understand what I am supposed to do with

fdisk /dev/usbkey

*after* the dd

http://doc.slitaz.org/en:guides:dvd#hybrid-iso gives no details.
Ok. Try
# fdisk /dev/usbkey
n<enter>
p<enter>
2<enter>
<enter>
<enter>
w<enter>

And you will get a 2nd partition with the remining storage.

Thanks for your explanation. I now understand that cat *.iso > /dev/usbkey is supposed to write a new partition table, as logically I thought, so the problem was a bug with the old USB I sacrified for the test: the partition table was unchanged after the dd , so my naive question.

With a fresh new bought key, it works ok. This feature is *very* impressive.

I will think about using it: so simple, so fast, so robust (R/O) and it would be up to the student who owns the key to make other partitions in the classroom with my advices and help. All big benefits.

BUT, it remains other issues, mainly due to MS Windows and freedom. I would like to make students value free software, so freedom in the way they can use the USB key I oblige them to buy is a must. Freedom includes using it with MS Windows, me liking it or not, and experience shew me that MS Windows only see partition #1. Last try with Seven gave me worst result: with such strange a key, the only this that MS Window propose is formatting it.

I will investigate that later.

Ph.L.