Re: [cooking] booting loram-cdrom on usb ( was: [cooking] various boot modes, successes and failures)

> I open a new thread,
>
> On 25/12/2010 18:36, pascal.bellard@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Can you try the following (I assume your usb key is /dev/usbkey, it
>> should
>> be /dev/sda, /dev/sdb or /dev/sdc, see
>> http://doc.slitaz.org/en:guides:dvd#hybrid-iso too)
>>
>> # wget http://mirror.slitaz.org/iso/undigest/slitaz-core-loram-cdrom.iso
>> # dd if=slitaz-core-loram-cdrom.iso of=/dev/usbkey
>> ( or 'cp slitaz-core-loram-cdrom.iso /dev/usbkey')
>> # fdisk /dev/usbkey ...
>>
>> And try to boot from the usb key.
>>
>> -pascal
>>
> Yes, I did, but I don't understand what I am supposed to do with
>
> fdisk /dev/usbkey
>
> *after* the dd
>
> http://doc.slitaz.org/en:guides:dvd#hybrid-iso gives no details.

Ok. Try
# fdisk /dev/usbkey
n<enter>
p<enter>
2<enter>
<enter>
<enter>
w<enter>

And you will get a 2nd partition with the remining storage.

> I thought that dd would have erased the mbr and partition table, but it
> seems that it's not the case. The usb key seems unmodified (and boots
> puppy as before !)

Hm... I said /dev/usbkey but it does mean /dev/sda, /dev/sdb ... or
something like that according to your system...

> But I found  bugs in tazlito build-loram ( /sys and /dev/sdxx are
> missing in initramfs ) , this bugs do no harm on real cdrom because
> because /dev/hdc does exists on the initramfs, but have to be corrected
> for usb.

/sys bug has been fixed 3 days ago and /dev/sdxx is useless (but doesn't
heart) : we need a /dev/sdx

> I have applied my patch to tazlito, and I am happy with my
> loram-smallcdrom on usb I am using now on Mac or Dell computer.
>
> However, I can't try on less than 512M because VirtualBox doesn't boot
> out of USB. I does not remind if kvm is able to do so. The only way I

Append mem=32m to the kernel cmdline. The kernel will assume you have only
32MB of RAM.

> boot is with rootfs.gz beeing copied in RAM, so after boot, it works
> exactly like loram-ram. I will try "keep-loram" which means "don't copy
> roofs.gz in RAM".

Right.