[cooking] Some figures for comparing various live boot modes

It's time to draw the bottom-line.

I built my SliTaz as flavor, under my own built Slitaz flavor, with, I think, last tools and packages. Important point: it has squasfs+xz.

My system unpacked is about 422M.

Iso sizes are:

ram-xz: 93.0M , ram-gz: 176.0M, loram-ram-sqfs.xz : 146.0M,
loram-smallcdrom-sqfs.xz: 146.0M.

Boot times on 2 computers: Dell Intel Core Duo with 512M RAM and Mac Mini Intel Core Duo with 2G RAM

ram: roofs.gz *is* the initramfs, so it is loaded in RAM by the bootloader and unpacked by Linux kernel. No SliTaz specific stuff is involved in this process.

ram-xz: Dell: not enough RAM, Mac: too much RAM makes kernel crash while unpacking roofs.gz

ram-gz: Dell: not enough RAM, Mac: 1min 30s the boot loader is very slow at loading big initramfs

loram-ram: (roofs.gz is *part* of initramfs, so it is loaded in RAM by the bootloader, but it remains unpacked, and is used as aufs ro base layer)

Dell: 28s, Mac: 1min 25s same remark

loram-smallcdrom-ram:( roofs.gz is copied in RAM by init at initramfs time)

Dell: 25s, Mac: 30s

loram-smallcdrom-cdrom ( i.e. roofs.gz not copied in RAM )

Dell: 23s, Mac 27s

I will standardize on loram-smallcdrom-ram and will hope there will be enough RAM on any computer it will be used. That's because if SliTaz has nice provisions for making the choice between loram-smallcdrom-ram and loram-smallcdrom-cdrom after RAM available at boot time, the tests I made showed some cases where it doesn't work very well, and I have no more time to investigate this issue,... my students are coming soon.

Ph.L.