Re: Separate cache folders for undigest mirrors

>The goal of home= boot option is precisely to use an external devide
>instead of having a home in RAM, so I don't see how it will make grow
>the RAM requirement to 2GB. It's the exact opposite : Having the cache
>folder on /home will avoid keeping all downloaded packages in RAM ! and
>will avoid re-download them at each session. And you can mount
>absolutely what you want as home (i.e: liveCD+home on hdd; usb+home
>from an encrypted file; etc).

I was talking when you were said that the livecd could be 700mb. (Like puppy linux multisession or something.) This is without the home= option. Even with home= option your still not going to have your custom packages that you installed to system. Also since its only saving to home folder everything else is still in RAM. You will not save /etc folder. You will not save any other folder other than /home..

> I also use my modular-slitaz that has changes boot option. This saves
> everything that is not from the livecd into changes folder on my hard drive.
> The home= boot option you also don't have system settings from /etc folder
> too.
>
> With the way sitaz works the make a full 700mb cd would take over 2gb of ram
> just for the filesystem. This is cause everything is uncompressed from
> initramfs file into ram. Also this would cause slitaz to be slow to boot and
> buidl the iso.

I said in the quote uncompressed 700mb cd/rootfs..gz = OVER 2GB.  I was not talking about home= option in 3rd paragraph.

I hope this helps.

PS I can talk to you better in irc then email. Sorry about my confusion.

On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 10:37 PM, GoKhlaYeh <gokhlayeh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, 14 Dec 2010 20:44:55 +0000
Christopher Rogers <slaxemulator@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The /home/slitaz folder is a bad idea since most development folders on tank
> go there. That could cause confinct with there being to many folders there.

As you know, I made some changes recently in tazpkg. Before that,
tazpkg copied packages info files from local repository
(/home/slitaz/$release/packages) into the /var/lib/tazpkg; and copied
packages from local repository to cache dir (/var/cache/tazpkg). Now,
it uses symlinks instead; so virtually cache and local repository **are
already merged**. It doesn't complexify anything and save a lot of
ressources. Then, about undigest : as you push the m5sum verification
in tazpkg, here's whats going on : if names overlaps, it replace the
symlink to a repository (lets
say /home/slitaz/cooking/packages/pkg.tazpkg) by a symlink to the
desired one (i.e. : /home/slitaz/undigest/packages/pkg.tazpkg). So once
again, all run as cache dir and local repo are merged actually; and
it's precisely based on tank directory structure = no problem here,
even with multiple repositories using the same cache. I was talking
about desirable changes to make things better, because there's really
no problem with actual behavior. About info files : the side-effect of
using symlink is that tazpkg recharge is needed only once time; then
info files linked from local repository are always up-to-date :)

> Also this would require a rewrite of most tools that look at CACHE_DIR path.
So : tazpkg, as the only other occurence to CACHE_DIR in SliTaz tools
is a line in tazlito which try to link packages from cache directory to
the local directory...

> I also use my modular-slitaz that has changes boot option. This saves
> everything that is not from the livecd into changes folder on my hard drive.
> The home= boot option you also don't have system settings from /etc folder
> too.
>
> With the way sitaz works the make a full 700mb cd would take over 2gb of ram
> just for the filesystem. This is cause everything is uncompressed from
> initramfs file into ram. Also this would cause slitaz to be slow to boot and
> buidl the iso.

The goal of home= boot option is precisely to use an external devide
instead of having a home in RAM, so I don't see how it will make grow
the RAM requirement to 2GB. It's the exact opposite : Having the cache
folder on /home will avoid keeping all downloaded packages in RAM ! and
will avoid re-download them at each session. And you can mount
absolutely what you want as home (i.e: liveCD+home on hdd; usb+home
from an encrypted file; etc).

> I just think its better to use the /var/cache/tazpkg/undigest/$repo path for
> undigest for now. We should just work on make home= boot option work more
> like changes boot option in modular-slitaz.

I don't see the point about home= boot option. I disagree with your
criticals but obviously you can proceed to this change if you want to.
Hoverwhere, I think having the cache on a peristent home will be a
great improvement and I intend to code this someday.

Peace,

--
GoKhlaYeh <gokhlayeh@xxxxxxxxxx>