Re: Separate cache folders for undigest mirrors

On Tue, 14 Dec 2010 20:44:55 +0000
Christopher Rogers <slaxemulator@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The /home/slitaz folder is a bad idea since most development folders on tank
> go there. That could cause confinct with there being to many folders there.

As you know, I made some changes recently in tazpkg. Before that,
tazpkg copied packages info files from local repository
(/home/slitaz/$release/packages) into the /var/lib/tazpkg; and copied
packages from local repository to cache dir (/var/cache/tazpkg). Now,
it uses symlinks instead; so virtually cache and local repository **are
already merged**. It doesn't complexify anything and save a lot of
ressources. Then, about undigest : as you push the m5sum verification
in tazpkg, here's whats going on : if names overlaps, it replace the
symlink to a repository (lets
say /home/slitaz/cooking/packages/pkg.tazpkg) by a symlink to the
desired one (i.e. : /home/slitaz/undigest/packages/pkg.tazpkg). So once
again, all run as cache dir and local repo are merged actually; and
it's precisely based on tank directory structure = no problem here,
even with multiple repositories using the same cache. I was talking
about desirable changes to make things better, because there's really
no problem with actual behavior. About info files : the side-effect of
using symlink is that tazpkg recharge is needed only once time; then
info files linked from local repository are always up-to-date :)

> Also this would require a rewrite of most tools that look at CACHE_DIR path.
So : tazpkg, as the only other occurence to CACHE_DIR in SliTaz tools
is a line in tazlito which try to link packages from cache directory to
the local directory...

> I also use my modular-slitaz that has changes boot option. This saves
> everything that is not from the livecd into changes folder on my hard drive.
> The home= boot option you also don't have system settings from /etc folder
> too.
>
> With the way sitaz works the make a full 700mb cd would take over 2gb of ram
> just for the filesystem. This is cause everything is uncompressed from
> initramfs file into ram. Also this would cause slitaz to be slow to boot and
> buidl the iso.

The goal of home= boot option is precisely to use an external devide
instead of having a home in RAM, so I don't see how it will make grow
the RAM requirement to 2GB. It's the exact opposite : Having the cache
folder on /home will avoid keeping all downloaded packages in RAM ! and
will avoid re-download them at each session. And you can mount
absolutely what you want as home (i.e: liveCD+home on hdd; usb+home
from an encrypted file; etc).

> I just think its better to use the /var/cache/tazpkg/undigest/$repo path for
> undigest for now. We should just work on make home= boot option work more
> like changes boot option in modular-slitaz.

I don't see the point about home= boot option. I disagree with your
criticals but obviously you can proceed to this change if you want to.
Hoverwhere, I think having the cache on a peristent home will be a
great improvement and I intend to code this someday.

Peace,

--
GoKhlaYeh <gokhlayeh@xxxxxxxxxx>