[Sawfish] Re: Config File Usage

jeremy@xxxxxxxxx (2018-10-10 at 1910.07 -0400):
> Greetings I hope this list is still alive and that work is still being done
> on sawfish. I have been using it for over a decade as my window manager
> (and desktop manager for that matter) on various systems.

Sawfish, as some shells or common CLI tools that are decade(s) old, is
near complete, so mostly bug fixes, updates and so on, instead of what
others seem to do (scrap a lot/everything and restart). The downside
is not appearing very active.

> In regards to using it on multiple systems, I am attempting to accomplish
> the following:
>
> * Have a global config file that contains configuration that can be applied
> to all of my computers running sawfish. This file will be exactly the same
> across all systems and will only contain the configuration that is the same
> across all systems.
>
> * Have a local config file for system-specific configurations that is
> applied after the global config. This file will be different on each system
> and will only contain system-specific configuration.
>
> For example, I want my theme settings the same on all systems and most of
> my keyboard keymaps. But I have custom menus that are different on
> different systems and have additional keymaps that I wan to apply on other
> systems (e.g. with additional buttons on the keyboard).
>
> I tried the following:
>
> 1. Remove the "custom-set-keymap" entries from my "~/.sawfish/custom" file

Once I had:
(custom-set-keymap (quote global-keymap) (quote (keymap ((run-shell-command "rxvt") . "H-t") ...

That became multiple lines in rc file like:
(bind-keys global-keymap "H-t" '(run-shell-command "rxvt"))
(bind-keys global-keymap ...

Would this be fine for what you want, or are we talking about
something else?

> 2. In my ~/.sawfish/rc file, use:
>
> ;; Global keymaps
> (require 'keymap-generic)
>
> ;; Local keymaps
> (require 'keymap-local)
>
> ;; Other Global config
> (require 'other-generic)
>
> ;; Other Local config
> (require 'other-local)
>
> And then in the corresponding lisp files, place the configuration.
>
> While this seems to work for things like menus and
> custom-set-typed-variable commands, I quickly discovered that I can't put
> "custom-set-keymap"  commands in external lisp files, only in the
> "~/.sawfish/custom" file. sawfish will fails parse the rc file.

And also I had:
(custom-set-typed-variable (quote focus-mode) (quote enter-click) (quote symbol))

But in rc:
(setq focus-mode 'enter-click)

> Is there a reason why I can't use "custom-set-keymap"  commands in external
> lisp files? Or is there a way around this limitation? if I could do this, I
> would be able to accomplish everything I want...
>
> Thank you

Never went deep into that part, but custom and rc use different
approach as demostrated (no idea why custom-set-typed-variable would
work and not custom-set-keymap). Could you try "translating" and check
if that was the issue?

Cheers,
GSR