Re: [Sawfish] Re: Lack of time

IMO the best first step for a committee to handle it would be to
translate it into a more common(SIC) lisp, like racket. It would then
be much easier for developers to develop in, and users to use. The
current lisp AFAIK is only used for this one purpose - which is a
strength in that it will not change and break sawfish ... but perhaps
that can be guarded against short of forking.

greg
~krsnadas.org

--

from:	 prad <prad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
to:	 sawfish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Christopher Roy Bratusek <nano@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Either way I encourage anyone to contribute to the project

i'd like to help and i really like lisp (though i use mainly scheme in
the form of racket).

trouble is i don't know anything about window managers.

also, i'm not a 'real' programmer, though i've written many programs
that just get the job done for my requirements. possibly, this would
be an opportunity to learn how to do things properly?

if you could suggest where to begin (may be look at the source code?),
i'll see what i can learn.

i guess i should also get the more recent version of sawfish, since
what i'm using is through debian squeeze, as you said in another post,
ancient. :D

---
in friendship,
prad

--

from:	 Christopher Roy Bratusek <nano@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
to:	 sawfish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi,

yeah, lisp is not the most intuitive-looking language of all, there's
a lot of documentation in the wild web. Explicit documentation like
'look for xyz' is not available as such, but the filenames for high
level functions are usually very intuitive.

In your example it's not so simple, as we use a different term in the
configurator than in code: lisp/sawfish/wm/ext/match-window.jl
lisp/sawfish/wm/edge/ for EdgeActions.

You can find docs for librep/sawfish in the respective man/ directory
in the tarballs, else you are welcome to ask here on the list.

Regards,
Chris

--

On Sunday 06 January 2013 19:20:50 Robert 'Bobby' Zenz wrote:

Hello.

Thanks for letting us know.

Personally I'd really like to contribute to Sawfish (because it is
awesome), but I find it hard to wrap my head around Lisp. Is there
some secret to understand the source? I know that question is dumb,
but is there some sort of documentation like "If you look for the
windowrules, go to the files x, y and z"?

Thanks for your hard work, it is really appreciated.

Greetings,
Bobby

--

On Sun, Jan 06, 2013 at 07:12:40PM +0100, Christopher Roy Bratusek wrote:

Hi all,

.... no I've not left the project - just had very limited time to work
on it (work, private life, other projects) - in case anyone wondered
why where was no progress since 1st Dec.

I doubt there will be much done by me before february/march (I've got
two weeks holidays in march).

Either way I encourage anyone to contribute to the project - with me
alone this is going to be dead-end very soon, I fear. Sawfish is too
big for a one- man show.

So feel free to contribute or to aquire new developers to the project. :)

Regards,
Chris