[Sawfish] is there a trick to getting the popup menu working

I'm currently on Ubuntu 12.04, compiled from git (pulled 2 days ago, Aug 22 2012)

window rules work, viewports work,
the "main" popup menu is not showing, the

"Button 3-Click display the menu listing all window operations"

I thought the problem might be Unity so I installed a couple of other desktop environments and tried sawfish in each

lxde
xubuntu
xfce
gnome
gnome classic

Does anyone have hints for debugging this?  Hope I'm not missing something really obvious.

one more request - I like to place windows against a left or right edge so I can move the mouse immediately to the edge and be on a scrollbar.  Is there a way to turn off the sawfish edge handling?  I think that's what's preventing me from doing this anymore.