Re: [Sawfish] Sawfish and linux mint

On Fri, 15 Jun 2012 18:51:06 +1000
wrote Allan Duncan <amd2345@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>Has anyone tried sawfish on either of the linux mint release 13 varients
>(MATE or Cinnamon desktops)?
>
>Mate is derived from gnome 2.3 so a change of window manager should work.
>
>I can't locate any info on Cinnamon beyond "The desktop layout is
>similar to Gnome 2" and "The underlying technology is forked from Gnome
>Shell" with a mention of a "comfortable desktop experience".
>I've made a bootable stick and tomorrow I'll have a bit of a rummage
>around in whatever config files there are to see if I can alter the WM.

Cinnamon use as windowmanager Muffin. If you try to replace Muffin with
a other Windowmanage (sawfish) also the Panel and all the other Cinnamon
stuff "disappears". The same is by Gnome3 if you replace the Mutter the
gnome3 windowmanager.

Why should someone use Mate? I don't know. Mate has no Panel plugins in
Mint (only the standard plugins from gnome2) and has only rename the
most applications from gnome2. If gnome3 (still) has the fallback mode
you have "more" from gnome2 in the gnome3 fallback mode as in Mate.
Mate makes no sense to me.

--
Regards,
Fuchur

GPG Fingerprint: CA3B 8204 5B3E 6D48 6D53  C116 E5BC 70D5 B8D7 B2B0