shortly after installed and ready for a first test.

which abrupty ended with:

Lisp backtrace:
#12  string-match ...
#11  string-split ...
#10  associate-categories ...
#9   fdo-menu-entry ...
#8   generate-apps-menu ...
#7   update-apps-menu ...
#6   run-byte-code ...
#4   make-structure (() #<closure 1b82980 @ user> #<closure 1b82958 @ user> user)
#2   load ...
#1   run-byte-code ...

error--> (bad-arg #<subr string-match> () 2)

a second test run with --interp gave the somewhat
more informative trace which can be found here:

http://vserver.13thfloor.at/Stuff/sawfish-1.8.1.trace

removing /usr/share/applications/f-spot.desktop gives
a similar trace with epiphany.desktop instead.

rebuilding sawfish from prestine sources (as was
suggested to me on the unfortunately not very active
IRC channel) did not change a thing ...

the problem went away when I created a ~/.sawfish/rc
probably because the app menu building code wasn't
executed anymore (tx oGMo)

I presume something in some of the .desktop files
causes the sawfish/lisp code to recurse forever (well,
at least as long as the stack is :)

if you need any files or want me to test any fix,
just let me know ...

many thanks in advance,
Herbert

---