Re: [proaudio] Git mirror of the overlay

Hi Dominique, Ignas and others,

Dominique Michel <dominique.michel@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Le Tue, 29 May 2012 23:46:30 +0100,
> Ignas Anikevicius <anikevicius@xxxxxxxxx> a écrit :
>
>> I have just upgraded my sound equipment and I thought I'd give
>> pro-audio overlay a try. However, I was wondering if there is any
>> place for git mirror of the overlay? If there is none yet, are there
>> any suggestions on where could we host it?
>>
>> I could probably make a github mirror and try to update it everyday.

I already have one.

>> What others think about this?

Good idea.

>> All best,
>> Ignas A.
>
> Welcome !
>
> I cannot see a good raison to make a mirror of the overlay. To work
> with 2 concurrent versions of the overlay can be source of sync errors,
> and as one use git and the other svn, it can also be a source
> of loose of data like the history of the files.

Same applies to proaudio overlay vs other overlays and vs main portage
tree. For example how to handle dependencies in main portage tree and
several other overlays? Good example is jack-audio-connection-kit. We
have it at least in main portage tree, proaudio overlay and ladi
overlay.

> Another option would be to shift from svn to git, but in the case of a
> project like an overlay, I cannot see the advantage of using git.
> I test all the ebuilds before committing them, and for that, I use a
> local test overlay. When the ebuild is done, I checkout the devel
> version of the overlay, I add the new ebuild, I digest the ebuild and I
> done a commit. After that, I erase the ebuild in my test overlay and
> try to merge it again. I will be doing the same even if the overlays is
> shifted over to git, so it will not be a simplification.

being distributed is not the only advantage of git over svn

> But I can see a big disadvantage to shift from svn to git: all the
> history of the files in the overlay will be lost. So I am not for
> such a move.

This is not true. git-svn allows conversion. And the conversion is
incremental. I use it for my git-svn mirror.

--
Nedko Arnaudov <GnuPG KeyID: 5D1B58ED>