Re: [proaudio] Git mirror of the overlay

Hello,

On 30/05/12 17:01, Nedko Arnaudov wrote:
[...]
>> Le Tue, 29 May 2012 23:46:30 +0100,
>> Ignas Anikevicius <anikevicius@xxxxxxxxx> a écrit :
[...]
>>> I could probably make a github mirror and try to update it everyday.
>
> I already have one.

Is it publicly available somewhere? And if so, do you fancy other people
using it as well? :)

[...]
>> Another option would be to shift from svn to git, but in the case of a
>> project like an overlay, I cannot see the advantage of using git.
>> I test all the ebuilds before committing them, and for that, I use a
>> local test overlay. When the ebuild is done, I checkout the devel
>> version of the overlay, I add the new ebuild, I digest the ebuild and I
>> done a commit. After that, I erase the ebuild in my test overlay and
>> try to merge it again. I will be doing the same even if the overlays is
>> shifted over to git, so it will not be a simplification.
>
> being distributed is not the only advantage of git over svn

+1

Git being distributed eases the development quite a bit. Also, the
cloning the overlay is much faster, which is always a good thing.

>> But I can see a big disadvantage to shift from svn to git: all the
>> history of the files in the overlay will be lost. So I am not for
>> such a move.
>
> This is not true. git-svn allows conversion. And the conversion is
> incremental. I use it for my git-svn mirror.

There is also svn2git, which can convert the svn 'tags' (or how they are
called) to proper git tags. I think, that it is definitely possible to
convert the overlay to git and no loose all the history.

Cheers,
Ignas