Re: [proaudio] fst fail to build on amd64

On Di, 27.01.09 13:09 Mark Knecht <markknecht@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 12:54 PM, Thomas Kuther
> <gimpel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Di, 27.01.09 12:50 Mark Knecht <markknecht@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> Quick question - does dssi-vst require multi-lib to run correctly?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Mark
> >>

> > It depends on WINE, so yes, you need a multilib profile.
> >

> Thanks. I'm currently multi-lib but was considering dropping it. I
> guess I cannot do that yet.
>
> Cheers,
> Mark

It's absolutely not worth it anyway.

Well, you pay some compile time (power bill), and some MB disk space for
multilib gcc and glibc, but those don't get updated too often.

5,3M    /lib32
181M    /usr/lib32

(full blown 32bit multilib, I can even run Oracle 10g XE 32bit)
So that additional disk space doesn't really hurt either....

So far I see no real reason not to run multilib on a desktop
workstation.

I like Solaris in that regard: kernel basically is 64bit, but only those
applications that are made for and really profit from running in 64bit
are really running 64bit, the rest is 32bit (smaller binaries, less
memory usage)