Re: [proaudio] More overlay problems

On Thursday 09 October 2008 01:06:28 Mark Knecht wrote:
> My problem seems to be when I run layman it still sees LC_ALL but I
> don't see where it's being set.
>
> Could part of the problem be that I don't have a plain en_US entry in
> /etc/locale.gen?
Yes. You can select eg LANG=en_US.UTF-8 (or whatever locale -a tells you.)

> Or is everything after the period a subgroup?

it's just the charset to use afaik; it might well just be a user config
though. #gentoo-uk people are usually good on this stuff (that's who I'd
ask ;) IIRC Chainsaw was pretty hot on this stuff, but it was a while back.

> Is there possibly a global .bashrc file somewhere that root picks up
> which is setting LC_ALL. There isn't one in root's home directory. Or
> maybe I have to re-emerge layman or something?

Nah it's what you said above; the locale you're selecting isn't on the system.

> Hopefully I have the settings the way you suggested.
>
> lightning ~ # cat /etc/env.d/02locale
> LANG=en_US
> LC_COLLATE=C
> lightning ~ # locale -a
> POSIX
> en_US.utf8
This is the canonical output if you're ever unsure; en_US.UTF-8 should work
too if it was specified as below. If it's not in that list, you can't select
it.

(Try running that cmd on a binary distro sometime. :)

> lightning ~ # cat /etc/locale.gen
> #en_US ISO-8859-1
> en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8

I'd personally add:
en_US UTF-8
en_US.ISO-8859-1 ISO-8859-1

Then you need to run locale-gen to actually build them.

That's the bit you're missing, ofc, most likely as you haven't done an install
for so long; back in the day the LC_ALL setting might have been more
forgivable (though I'd still argue it wasn't a good idea, also in terms of
actually fixing l10n support.) Not so anymore.

Adding an en one might be good too but I've never needed to and I'm not even
sure of the exact syntax, if it's different. (I'm not a great user of
i18n'ised stuff, can you tell? ;)

I'd encourage you just to experiment. The worst that'll happen with a bad
locale def'n is the stuff you've already seen, and since POSIX C locale is US
ASCII anyhow, you aren't gonna be suddenly confronted with a screenful of a
foreign language. It certainly won't stop your machine from booting or the
like.

> Thanks for the help. I do appreciate it.

You're very welcome; sorry I didn't reply sooner, I'm not used to this m-l
yet. (Took me 6 months to find the damn thing..)