Re: [proaudio] More overlay problems

On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 3:23 PM, Steve Long <slong@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wednesday 08 October 2008 17:21:09 Mark Knecht wrote:
>> On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 9:01 AM, Steve Long <slong@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> > LC_ALL should _not_ be set in the standard config, as it forcibly
>> > overrides all other locale settings.

<SNIP>

> svn can't set that locale variable because LC_ALL is in effect.

OK, logically it makes sense but I haven't solved the problem yet...

>> > Use:
>> > LANG=en_US
<SNIP>

> LANG is the correct variable to set; nothing else /should/ be required, unless
> the user wants to change something for preference.
>
>> > You might want to consider:
>> > LC_COLLATE=C
>> > ..which helps with ordering in programs, although if it matters to an
>> > app, it should set it itself
> ..as svn is trying to do above.
>
>>  >The main thing is to make sure that
>> > LC_ALL isn't in the environment, as it means nothing else will ever be
>> > set or allowed.
>> >
>> > Setting LC_TYPE or the like is redundant if there is a LANG setting (and
>> > you're using the same one ofc;). That's what it's for: the system or user
>> > default choice of all the other settings, unless otherwise specified.

My problem seems to be when I run layman it still sees LC_ALL but I
don't see where it's being set.

Could part of the problem be that I don't have a plain en_US entry in
/etc/locale.gen? Or is everything after the period a subgroup?

Is there possibly a global .bashrc file somewhere that root picks up
which is setting LC_ALL. There isn't one in root's home directory. Or
maybe I have to re-emerge layman or something?

Hopefully I have the settings the way you suggested.

lightning ~ # cat /etc/env.d/02locale
LANG=en_US
LC_COLLATE=C
lightning ~ # locale -a
locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_COLLATE to default locale: No such file or directory
POSIX
en_US.utf8
lightning ~ # cat /etc/locale.gen
#en_US ISO-8859-1
en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8
lightning ~ #  !lay
layman -s pro-audio
* Overlay "rostov" is missing a "description" entry!
* Overlay "rostov" is missing a "description" entry!
* Overlay "rostov" is missing a "description" entry!
* Overlay "rostov" is missing a "description" entry!
* Running command "/usr/bin/svn update "/usr/portage/local/layman/pro-audio""...
svn: warning: cannot set LC_CTYPE locale
svn: warning: environment variable LC_ALL is en_US
svn: warning: please check that your locale name is correct
At revision 1336.
*
* Success:
* ------
*
* Successfully synchronized overlay "pro-audio".
lightning ~ #

Thanks for the help. I do appreciate it.

- Mark