Re: [proaudio] More overlay problems

On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 9:01 AM, Steve Long <slong@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wednesday 08 October 2008 00:56:08 Mark Knecht wrote:
>> Also
>>
>> lightning ~ # echo $LC_ALL $LC_CTYPE
>> en_US
>> lightning ~ #
>>
> LC_ALL should _not_ be set in the standard config, as it forcibly overrides
> all other locale settings. It's used for test situations, eg to get an error
> message in English, to ensure that the program is run with a default locale
> (usually C), so: LC_ALL=C prog -foo

Already you are beyond my meager abilities. I've been running Gentoo
since 1999/2000. I have NEVER edited a file in /etc/env.d. Should I
now be changing something there?

>> > lightning ~ # cat /etc/env.d/02locale
>> > LC_ALL="en_US"
>> > lightning ~ #
>> >
> Use:
> LANG=en_US

Are you saying that the 02locale file contents are wrong and should
not have the quotes?

> You might want to consider:
> LC_COLLATE=C
> ..which helps with ordering in programs, although if it matters to an app, it
> should set it itself (as it means the usual locale-specific ordering isn't
> being followed.) The main thing is to make sure that LC_ALL isn't in the
> environment, as it means nothing else will ever be set or allowed.
>
> Setting LC_TYPE or the like is redundant if there is a LANG setting (and
> you're using the same one ofc;). That's what it's for: the system or user
> default choice of all the other settings, unless otherwise specified.
>
>> > I will have to look around for Gentoo instructions on setting this up
>> > correctly. I've never had to touch anything except /etc/locale.gen
>> > before. Maybe things have changed?
>> >
> It used to be recommended, but is a bit of a myth; I think it came about as so
> many people have been told to run LC_ALL=C someProg  before reporting a bug.
> man locale is very good on Gentoo, but some other distros don't even mention
> LC_ALL, I think deliberately because it gets in the way.

I really appreciate your inputs but I'm now more confused and not
confident about making changes. Probably an outgrowth of how the world
is acting these last two weeks.

- Mark