Re: [proaudio] Setting up realtime

I Tried to compile a new kernel all the week end, and now I got it ! Here is what to do to compile a 2.6.25.4-rt5 kernel :

$ su -
# cd /usr/src
# wget http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/linux-2.6.25.4.tar.gz  //get the 2.6.25.4 kernel
# wget http://rt.et.redhat.com/download/older/patch-2.6.25.4-rt5.bz2  // get the RT patch for this kernel

Uncompress these to files. then :

# mv linux-2.6.25.4 linux-2.6.25.4-rt5
# rm linux                                          //to remove any symlink
# ln -s linux-2.6.25.4-rt5 linux                    // to create a new symlink.
# cd linux                                            // You will work in this directory linked to your linux-2.6.25.4-rt5 directory.
# patch -p1 < ../patch-2.6.25.4-rt5       // apply the patch to make your new kernel RT

Perhaps there is others patches ?  but this is the most important to use RT. (If anyone could tells us if there is others patches ?..)

# make clean        // not necessary the first time, but necessary you want to compile another time
# zcat /proc/config.gz > .config         // to get your current kernel .config
# make oldconfig

Then you can configure your kernel according to your needs.

# make menuconfig
# make && make modules_install
# cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/kernel-2.6.25.4-rt5
# cp System.map /boot/System.map-2.6.25.4-rt5

Then edit your /boot/grub/menu/lst

This is the way to compile your kernel.
Now as Christian tolds you there is some option you must activate to get really good performances.
You can desactivate all options you do not needs (scsi, pcmcia, etc...)

good luck

2008/6/9 Arve Barsnes <arve..barsnes@xxxxxxxxx>:
Nevermind, found it. Will recompile and try it when I get home.

--