[proaudio] Setting up realtime

Can anyone give a summary of the current method of setting up
realtime? jack is now saying latency is below 1 ms, but it's giving me
an enormous amount of xruns. I'm guessing my kernel isn't completely
correctly set up, and I can't really find any good guides, only vague
hints to add those features, but not those, and whatever you do don't
use this. Might be because the kernels change so much between
versions.

I've set up pam, configured kernel, done jack config in qjackctl and
set up my .asoundrc by this page: http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Jack

A more specific kernel setup would be welcome, for any kernel you'd
like, I can change versions to fit whatever is easier to explain,
currently running 2.6.24-rt1 from the overlay. Also having
2.6.25.4-rt1 that was posted on this list a while back, but I don't
know if it is currently configured to run at all. Anything else I need
to do would also be welcome with a good explanation. I've been using
Debian for a few years now, so consider me a n00b to Gentoo, although
I used it a few years ago. :)

Hope to hear something soon :)

Regards,
Arve