Re: [proaudio] Museseq won't re-emerge after emerge --sync

Le Sun, 3 Jun 2007 22:48:43 +0000,
"Krzysztof Polikowski" <polikowski@xxxxxxxxx> a écrit :

> So, tell me, what i should change? My system is very stable and fast.
> I can setup Cflags & Ldflags in /etc/portage/env/ for jackd and museseq.
> What is wrong in ldflags & cflags?
>
> Greetings.

The problem with custom cflags is at you are on your own because ANY custom
cflags need profiling for EACH SINGLE package in the box.

Cflags and ldflags are a very sensitive issue. It is even worst because
each gcc version can (and will) behave differently with the same combination of
custom cflags. I was experimenting with such flags it was some time ago, and at
the end, the only solution was to reformat and reinstall all with safe cflags.

Custom cflags can introduce very subtle bugs that only a profiling can find.
(profiling is a process where you begin to compile a software with same cflags,
make test to be sure at it behave as wanted, and recompile the software
with other cflags and compare the result with the result of the first reference
compilation.)

And now one have the time to do profiling for each single package in the box,
and that after each gcc upgrade.

On gentoo, you have a 3 level cflags strategy:

system cflags in /etc/make.conf, just use safe flags here;
ebuild cflags, just trust the gentoo developers here,
and package cflags, just trust the package maker here.

Ciao,
Dominique

--
Dominique Michel

--
N.B.: Tous les emails que je reçois sont filtrés par spamassassin avant de me
parvenir.