Re: [proaudio] Fvwm-Crystal and Crystal audio

On Fr, 13.04.07 11:50 Dominique Michel <dominique.michel@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> I am working with Marcej, the developer of Fvwm-Crystal, to incorpore
> Crystal audio features into Fvwm-Crystal. So it will be soon a new
> fvwm-crystal release and I will drop crystal audio.
>
> We was discussing it was some time ago to make a distribution from
> the overlay. I think at fvwm-crystal can be a good alternative to
> other WMs for a multimedia workstation. Fvwm-crystal is fvwm and it
> have 2 advantages over the other wm I know: It is very fast and
> incredibly flexible.
>
> fvwm-crystal have 2 advantages for a fvwm newbie: it is fully usable
> from the first run, and its modular configuration made it easier to
> learn as fvwm.
>
> What I am thinking here is at we can use Crystal Audio repository in
> order to make a custom Fvwm-crystal configuration trimmed for the
> overlay. FVWM have a very powerful feature: FVWMButton. With it, it
> is possible to make any kind of panels. They can be almost every
> thing: launcher for applications, trayer, monitors, whatever...
>
> So, if you think at it can be a good idea, I can keep alive Crystal
> audio website. Otherwise, I will close it. Another solution will be
> to make a repository for that on tuxfamily. The advantage on
> sourceforge is at it is possible to have a local darcs repository and
> rsync it with the repository on sourceforge. The advantage on
> tuxfamily is at we can use svn directly, but a little more work will
> be needed to get it to work with fvwm-crystal that use darcs (but
> it's trivial work in the Makefile).
>
> What are you thinking about this?
>
> And which features are missing in your WM for you regular audio work
> that you would like to see implemented? Almost everything is possible
> with a fvwmbutton, so just think about it.
>
> Dominique

Sounds very interesting! I guess I have to take a look at FVWM crystal
one day. I just still love my E17 :)

But I already switched from trayer to stalonetray, A LOT better than
trayer - and the FVWM buttons shown on their homepage make me wanna try
FVWM, hehe. Looks very interesting.

Tom