Re: [proaudio] Fvwm-Crystal and Crystal audio

Le Fri, 13 Apr 2007 13:56:30 +0200,
Thomas Kuther <gimpel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> a écrit :

> On Fr, 13.04.07 11:50 Dominique Michel <dominique.michel@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
> > I am working with Marcej, the developer of Fvwm-Crystal, to incorpore
> > Crystal audio features into Fvwm-Crystal. So it will be soon a new
> > fvwm-crystal release and I will drop crystal audio.
> >
> > We was discussing it was some time ago to make a distribution from
> > the overlay. I think at fvwm-crystal can be a good alternative to
> > other WMs for a multimedia workstation. Fvwm-crystal is fvwm and it
> > have 2 advantages over the other wm I know: It is very fast and
> > incredibly flexible.
> >
> > fvwm-crystal have 2 advantages for a fvwm newbie: it is fully usable
> > from the first run, and its modular configuration made it easier to
> > learn as fvwm.
> >
> > What I am thinking here is at we can use Crystal Audio repository in
> > order to make a custom Fvwm-crystal configuration trimmed for the
> > overlay. FVWM have a very powerful feature: FVWMButton. With it, it
> > is possible to make any kind of panels. They can be almost every
> > thing: launcher for applications, trayer, monitors, whatever...
> >
> > So, if you think at it can be a good idea, I can keep alive Crystal
> > audio website. Otherwise, I will close it. Another solution will be
> > to make a repository for that on tuxfamily. The advantage on
> > sourceforge is at it is possible to have a local darcs repository and
> > rsync it with the repository on sourceforge. The advantage on
> > tuxfamily is at we can use svn directly, but a little more work will
> > be needed to get it to work with fvwm-crystal that use darcs (but
> > it's trivial work in the Makefile).
> >
> > What are you thinking about this?
> >
> > And which features are missing in your WM for you regular audio work
> > that you would like to see implemented? Almost everything is possible
> > with a fvwmbutton, so just think about it.
> >
> > Dominique
> >

> Sounds very interesting! I guess I have to take a look at FVWM crystal
> one day. I just still love my E17 :)
>
> But I already switched from trayer to stalonetray, A LOT better than
> trayer - and the FVWM buttons shown on their homepage make me wanna try
> FVWM, hehe. Looks very interesting.
>
> Tom

With the overlay, the simpler is to "emerge crystal-audio". It will install my
fork of fvwmcrystal. It already use stalonetray with all the recipes. I bumped
stalonetray ebuild yesterday to 0.6.3, it include some bug fixes.

If using xdm (kdm, gdm), you will get one more choice: fvwm-crystal.
Take a look into preferences/Startup under /usr/share/fvwm-crystal/fvwm. Just by
copying this file into  ~/.fvwm-crystal/preferences/Startup and commenting out 2
lines, qjackctl and glashctl will be launched at startup.

It will be some changes in the next fvwm-crystal release, as a preference
setting for trayer and stalonetray (most distributions do provide trayer but
only a few are providing stalonetray).

I am currently thinking about how to implement session management support with
gnome-session inside fvwm-crystal. I already have an experimental recipe that
work fine with it, but I must find a way to still be able to run gnome if an
user want so. I see 2 possibilities for that:
1) use gnome-session capability to start different sessions. It would be
simpler to implement.
2) use some kind of wrapper around gnome-session so at it will be able to
automatically start fvwm-crystal or gnome.

Ciao,

Dominique Michel

--
N.B.: Tous les emails que je reçois sont filtrés par spamassassin avant de me
parvenir.