Re: [proaudio] Thoughts about menu entries and usability

Le Tue, 13 Feb 2007 17:50:08 +0100,
Thomas Kuther <gimpel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> a écrit :

> On Di, 13.02.07 17:40 Frieder Bürzele <evermind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Do we also need to update the the fdo database if we've created a new
> > entry? eclass: fdo-mime.eclass
> > fdo-mime_desktop_database_update
> >
> > and for new mime types:
> > fdo-mime_mime_database_update
>
> I think not. At least new/changed ones show up correctly here without
> that. And I guess if that was needed, then make_desktop_entry would take
> care of it anyway.

It work fine here. Fvwm-crystal have an amazing feature: I can do nested login
with it in another desktop as gnome or kde. And the desktop entries are
showing up in the right place.

> > Another question: What is the standard resolution for an icon? 48x48.
> > Depth? 8
> > what tools should we use to convert (which convert tool has less
> > dependencies?)
> > So far I use mogrify from Imagemagick.
> >

> I think 128x128 is nice, esp when using it in dockbars. I use convert,
> also from ImageMagick, or mogrify if infile and outfile is the same
> file.

On
http://standards.freedesktop.org/icon-theme-spec/icon-theme-spec-0.10.html#install_icons
they said "(You) want to install application icons so
that they work in the KDE and Gnome menus. Minimally you should install a 48x48
icon in the hicolor theme. This means installing a PNG file in
$prefix/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps. Optionally you can install icons in
different sizes."

I am just looking in some fc3 rpm I found for the alsaplayer (that doesn't
provide any icon in the sources). It is 3 icons, one 39x32, one 20x16 and one
59x48. I do not get the time to test how they are working.

Debian is running the attached script to generate the fvwm-crystal. It is just
a call to convert inside the script. It create 3 icons: 22x22 32x32 48x48.
Andthey are png icons, recent fvwm version support png icons. I can try to adapt
it to gentoo.

But Debian do nothing for fvwm and the icons.

> Cheers,
> Tom

Ciao,