Re: [proaudio] Thoughts about menu entries and usability

Thomas Kuther wrote:
Hi all,

I'm currently looking at the mess in my default "Sound & Video" FDO menu
(E17 and XFCE here) - proaudio stuff chaotically mixed with video and
audio players, ripper, encoding stuuf..and the idea comes up to create a
nice menu, e.g.

	menu root
	--> Sound & Video
		--> Pro Audio
			--> Sequencer
				- Aldrin
				- LMMS
				- MusE
			--> Sythesizers
				- ZynAddSubFX
				- OmSynth
			--> Recording
				- Ardour
				- ReZound
	etc etc.

I know KDE and GNOME users can edit their menu as they like, also E17
and lots of others, but e.g. XFCE 4.4 doesn't seem to provide that
advanced menu editing..

So I could do this on my own... or for all in a maintainable way,
which means adding a package, e.g. "x11-misc/proaudio-menu" something
like that which adds required default menuicons and generates the
submenus (there are eclass funcs for "domenu" etc, so that wouldn't be
hard), and an eclass, let's say proaudio.eclass that takes care this
package is installed and provides some functions.

But what do users and devs think about this?
 - that sucks, mess around on your own box
 - good idea
 - i don't care
:)

We'll thats really a good idea.
I don't know if I get you right: You want to create a ebuild which
generates entries for xfce4.4? from existing .desktop entries?

I've seen you've added some make_desktop to some ebuilds.
So first we need to update any ebuild and provide a proper entry?!
(as long as the application won't provide one itself)

hm should we abstract these make_desktop and newicon into a eclass function?
so we needn't bother about the details?

Greetz Frieder

Any comments on this are welcome.

Regards,