Re: [proaudio] Re: ANN: 1 year gentoo-proaudio-overlay

Le Sat, 27 Jan 2007 14:08:29 +0100,
Frieder Bürzele <evermind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> a écrit :

> haven't tried bardix but it seems its just comes with very minimal choice of
> apps and based on fluxbox. We could try to ask bardix creator if he'd
> like to participate

I was thinking about a wm for the future overlay distribution. As an old kde
user, I just hate gnome because of its focus policy. And I get tired of kde.
After trying a few other wm, inclusive xfce and fluxbox, I come to
fvwm-crystal. My conclusion is at for an user that want a faster wm, the only
one is fvwm (crystal is an ensemble of themes for fvwm and it transform fvwm
in a desktop environment. Many options can be directly changed from the
menu.) . Another advantage of fvwm is its incredible flexibility.

But it is 2 problems with fvwm. It is very time consuming to configure
for a newcomer. It is why crystal is better for many users. And the menu system
don't recognize the desktop files so many apps must be added by hand. (Debian
have a menu package that do that, I try to get it to work on gentoo, but without
success.)

The good thing with crystal menu system is at it is incredibly flexible, easy
to setup, and at it is nothing to do in case of a fvwm or crystal upgrade. I get
very frustrated with both xfce and fluxbox for this after loosing my menu, and
it is as much time consuming to setup as with crystal.

So I think at it can be a very good alternative to other wm for an audio
workstation. And we can do whatever we want with it, not only a customised
menu or appearance, but also custom buttons with sound related
functionalities.

In order to get comments, maybe at the best way is at I done a fvwm
ebuild for the overlay (from cvs with a few patches (I like round corners and
auto-hiding taskbar), but with a given date to be sure at it work well), and
another ebuild with my crystal configuration (I must look at it in order to be
sure at it will work for every one and put an archive on the web.). This last
one will have fvwm-crystal from portage as dependency, or a copy with another
name and modified keywords in order to respect the gentoo keyword policy.

Ciao,