Re: [proaudio] Re: ANN: 1 year gentoo-proaudio-overlay

SteelRage wrote:
Frieder Bürzele ha scritto:
Hi,

Today the overlay exists exactly 1 year
My first post was on Th Jan 26, 2006 3:38 pm at the gentoo-forums.

[SPAM]Happy birthday tooo uuuusss, happy birthday tooo uuuusss![/SPAM]

So what's next?

1. add new maintainers
  Next step is to add additional maintainers. As maintaining
  takes really alot time for just two ppl and won't get less if
  the overlay is getting more and more popular.

  So if some of you (ebuild contributor or not) want to join
  the team of ebuild (or web space?!) maintainers drop me a email.

Just a question, to avoid accepting/proposing myself for jobs I cannot
mantain: how much average time would it take to contribute with ebuild
mantaining (fixing bugs, requests, looking for updates, etc)?

if you've experience with building ebuilds and know it's "pitfalls" and the app you'd like to create a ebuild uses a "good buildsystem" and you also know each
dependency you're done with a new ebuild within 5 minutes :)
But very often some of this premises are not given so it could really take long
Having already some experience in programming (C++,Bash), how much time
will I spend to start contributing decent ebuilds?

you could start with just bumping ebuilds if  a new release appears.
So for that task you don't need so much time. But someone need to
do it :)

To ease this you could ask upstream maintainers to inform you if a new release occur

3. Maybe a installable proaudio livecd (or livedvd) based on sabayonlinux
  which is based on gentoo :)
    So if you're interest in such a project and want to participate.
  Get Sabyonlinux from http://sabayonlinux.org install it on your
  spare machine :) and validate it if we could use it as a base.
  (start installing some apps from the overlay and also rt-kernel,...)
  Post your opinions about it.

This is the part that most interests me.
Sabayon Linux seems to be a great multimedia-oriented-Gentoo-based
distribution. It could give us a big boost (this week it's #10 on
distrowatch.com chart; Gentoo is #11 :P) and we could give them a big
boost too.

Right now I'm downloading the latest DVD version (it'll take some time
:\ uber-slow DSL connection right here).
The previous one was amazing, anyway.

I've already download them and also tried it quickly.
It really works nice out of da box (several desktops and wm are included)
I know there's at least another audio-oriented-Gentoo-based
distribution, called Bardix, but I didn't try it (I don't speak German).
Are there other project already started so I can check them (I find
useless spending time to start something from scratch when there's
already good work done around the world)?
Greetz

Paolo

haven't tried bardix but it seems its just comes with very minimal choice of
apps and based on fluxbox. We could try to ask bardix creator if he'd
like to participate