Re: [proaudio] (cvs|svn|git) vs 9999

Le Fri, 11 Aug 2006 12:57:40 +0200,
Frieder Bürzele <evermind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> a écrit :

> Dominique Michel wrote:
> > Le Fri, 11 Aug 2006 10:06:37 +0200,
> > Frieder Bürzele <evermind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> a écrit :

> >> first I just wanted to have -cvs -svn, -... in the overlay to see
> >> clearly if it's a -cvs -svn, -...  snapshot or not.
> >> But over time I feel like using -9999 is the better way as it minimize
> >> (I hope) maintenance.
> >>
> >> So If I change all -cvs -svn, -... to -9999 what keywords should they be?
> >> ~xARCH or -*
> >>
> >> @all
> >> please express your opinions? Should we change to 9999?
> >>
> >> Greetz
> >>     Frieder
> >>

> > I don't care as long at it's work. But it is a good idea if it will
> > minimize the maintenance,
> >
> > For the keyboard, I don't know what will append if gentoo have a ~arch
> > version when we have the same program also with ~arch. It portage will
> > choose in all cases the -9999 in the overlay, I prefer ~arch, but if it
> > is not the case, -* will be better. So, can we have a certitude with
> > ~arch? I thing at the worst case will be if portage have a -9999 ~arch
> > ebuild at the same time as the overlay.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Dominique
> >

> We can add -x86, (-arch whatever the package is capable),  instead of
> ~x86 or -*
> So to add a -arch masked package:
> echo "category/packageName -arch" >> /etc/portage/package.keywords
>
> maybe this is better than -*
>
> Greetz
>     Frieder

On the gentoo dev manual,
http://devmanual.gentoo.org/keywording/index.html they write at -arch
mean at the package version will not work on the arch, when -* keyword
indicate package versions which are not worth trying to test on
unlisted archs.

If I look in sci-electronics/ng-spice-rework, it is a -9999 ebuild, and it use the -* keyword alone.
So, it will be best to use it if we want to be in accord with the way gentoo is developed. I know by experience at the cvs version of ngspice is very stable and will work in almost all cases.

I have the science overlay, and I just try to copy this ebuild in this overlay in order to have 2 identical ebuilds for this package. An "emerge -vp ng-spice-rework" showed me at portage will use the version from the overlay, not the one in gentoo. So it will be safe for us to use it.

It will also be less typing with -* as with -arch.

Cheers,