Re: [proaudio] (cvs|svn|git) vs 9999

On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 10:06:37 +0200
Frieder Bürzele <evermind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> carmen wrote:
> > wondering if theres any concensus on -9999 versions vs seperate
> > -cvs directories? with 9999, with -cvs, it breaks the continuity of
> > one directory per package, and additional checks must be added to
> > avoid conflicts.
> >
> > as an example, ive installed libgig-cvs. now on a -DNuav world, its
> > trying to install libgig-2.0.2. i had to add libgig-9999 to
> > package.provided (thus the seperate -cvs version didnt prevent me
> > from /etc/portage file editing after all. id rather edit
> > package.keywords once to enable -9999 version than have to
> > continually do -uav to make sure non-cvs versions arent being
> > brought in beacise i didnt populate package.provided.. preemptive
> > handling of the situation.
> >
> > another example is the patchage-cvs and om-cvs ebuilds that i
> > submitted a while ago. the author has changed to SVN, at a
> > different host. at this point, the -cvs should be changed to -svn
> > to be consistent (but still no consistency to whether a
> > 'unreleased' version is -cvs, -svn, -git, -bzr, -mercurial, or
> > what... confusing users as to which version to try). also it doesnt
> > show up in eg eix or esearch 'available versions'.
> >
> > in any case, my vote is for -9999. this is what the main portage
> > tree does as well..
> >
> > c,c
> >

> first I just wanted to have -cvs -svn, -... in the overlay to see
> clearly if it's a -cvs -svn, -...  snapshot or not.
> But over time I feel like using -9999 is the better way as it
> minimize (I hope) maintenance.
>
> So If I change all -cvs -svn, -... to -9999 what keywords should they
> be? ~xARCH or -*
>
> @all
> please express your opinions? Should we change to 9999?
>
> Greetz
>     Frieder

Hi all :)

i guess you know my opinion on that one. -9999!

IMHO it's _definately_ easier for the maintainer, but complicates things
up for the users a bit, as -9999 should also use -* as keyword (see the
e17 ebuilds by vapier, they all use that scheme)
So users will have to add the respective packages to their
package.keywords file.
Anyways this is the right way:
- no double-mobble and DEPEND weirdness, so -9999
- live CVS/SVN stuff can be broken, or break other things, so -* keyword

Regards,
Tom

PS: i think i have some spare time now and might help out a bit again.