Re: [proaudio] Gentoo DAW HOWTO - 0.2

On Tue, 16 May 2006 10:28:50 +0200
SteelRage <keywiz@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Thomas Kuther wrote:
> > OK, very cool!
> > Started some actualy reading through it and started porting it to
> > the wiki. I have to admit that i'll have to change a lot of things,
> > also regarding kernel configuration.. for a _real_ DAW a rt-kernel
> > is a MUST HAVE! hehe :P
> >
> Allright :)
> Will RT-sources give all that impressive benefits I read about? If so,
> it seems I MUST test them too! If you want, I can try to write about
> that after testing them, following the documentation you gave me links
> about.

Ok... well as said. I'm also going to gentoo'ify my SuSE rt-kernel
howto. You can use all info you want from there.

see http://jacklab.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=385#385 ff

> Feel free to modify everthing I wrote whenever you want/need (and, if
> you can, leave me a note about what did you modify, so I can edit the
> forum post too).
> > See the work in progress here:
> > http://proaudio.tuxfamily.org/wiki/index.php?title=Howto_DAW_Digital_Audio_Workstation
> >
> > Still i'm not really sure if it wouldn't be nicer to post that to
> > the common place for Gentoo related Howtos: the gentoo wiki. :)
> > what do you think?
> >
> Uhm....
> Gentoo wiki... That could be nice, but wouldn't it be better to post
> it there when there'll be more contents? So now we can receive
> eventual feedback from the users from the forum to improve it?
> If you think it's better to post it there, it'll be OK for me too,
> anyway. Just remember that the more places we put the documentation
> into, the more palces we'll have to update when needed. That's why I
> suggested to wait a bit before putting it on Gentoo Wiki.

agreed. i thought of it instead of the proaudio wiki. but nevermind.
So currently the wiki-version of your howto can be seen as a
suggestions page :)

quint essence so far:

* make use of /etc/portage/package.use - just global useflags to
make.conf. If it once happens that you need support with your base
system, you'll first get blamed if your make.conf contains 500 so
called local useflags, even worse such experimental ones like jackmidi
which you won't find in official portage yet. emerge --info never
lies :P
* libcap is deprecated, so is kernel 2.4
* as said already: emerge rt-sources, and tell how to configure them.
* pam RLIMITS configuration.. basically that's just using the pam from
the overlay and edit /etc/security/limits.conf
* maybe a note that it's no bad idea to use a lightweight WM in favor
of a ressources buster like KDE or GNOME
* some native linux synths.. not only VST :) (om, qsynth, bristol etc)

Regards,
Tom