Re: [openag5-talk] Modus operandis

> I suggest we really go on trying to reprogram the device, but it
> should be done only once, so that we could create real software
> drivers to easily change the layout, anyway we'd like after the
> "reencarnation". Because it's simpler to change only software driver
> than change firmware and load it into the device.

I see this as one use case. One can easily implement this by making each key send a unique keycode. USB reserves a set of these codes. Tools like autohotkey or usbhotkey (my tool) can catch these codes and transform them into keypresses. This is very convenient for the development of a new keymap, but inconvenient if I want to use this keymap on any computer.

Once you have your keymap programmed to your liking, you could transform it to a microcontroller program and burn it into the AG5. You have your personal keymap, regardless of the software on the host computer.

If you can express the algorithm behind your keymap as a finite state machine and a set of tables, the transfer from one program (e.g. autohotkey) to another (microcontroller assembly) is easy.
--
Dr. Lars Krueger
http://LarsKrueger.homestead.com/files

---