Re: [hatari-users] Freemint Trunk ( Helmut's branch) on Hatari

On perjantai 20 maaliskuu 2015, Emmanuel Kasper wrote:
> I just want to report that latest Hatari works very well with latest
> Freemint trunk (using a emulated Atari 520 STE)
>
> I used Hatari to install Freemint in a disk image, I dd then the imagetp
>  a sd card, and boot the SD card to the real HW using an Ultra Satan
> adapter. Everything works as espected, and the Freemint software bugs I
> noticed where exatly the same on Hatari and the STE.

Thanks for testing!  It's good to hear that it's still working fine (first
Hatari version tested to work with MiNT was v1.2).

It would be nice if you could test also whether MiNT memory protection works
with MMU emulation in latest Hatari Mercurial version.  And whether fast-RAM
also works.  NOTE: MMU emulation and fast-RAM aren't yet supported together,
so they need to be tested separately.

You would need either TOS v3, TOS v4 or EmuTOS 0.9.4 to test these.

> The most tricky part was to find an XHDI compatible Hard Disk Driver
> that Hatari would accept.

What Hatari version you're using?

I remember that you had earlier tested following drivers:
---------------------------
Atari ACSI driver 5.5:
works fine for partioning, and fine for using

CBHD Driver:
partitioning fails with the message HDC: Unsupported MODE SENSE command
booting a hard disk image partioned on a real Atari Works

ICDPro AdSCSI driver:
partitioning fails with the message HDC: Unsupported MODE SENSE command
booting a hard disk image partioned on a real Atari Works

SCSIToolDriver:
partitioning fails with the message HDC: Unsupported MODE SENSE command
booting a hard disk image partioned on a real Atari fails  with the message
HDC: Access to non-existing LUN. Command = 0x00
----------------------------

Were there also some other driver(s) that didn't work?

FYI: Hatari developers have mainly testing following drivers:
- EmuTOS internal one (some XHDI support)
- HD Driver (supports XHDI)
- AHDI v5 & v6
- Cecile

> Finally I found out CBHD, and it's doing well
> exept for the partitioning which I had to do outside Hatari using the
> SCSItools package
>
> I uploaded an acsi disk image with the CBHD driver here:
>
> http://subsole.org/static/retrocomputing/cbscsiraw.img.zip
>
> the first partition ist BGM, the second ist GEM < 32 MB for data
> exchange , and the third is raw, ready to be formatted with ext2 or minix
> !
>
> By the way are there any plans to had some kind of Ethernec emulation
> for Hatari, or are you rather interested on the demo / gaming side of
> things ?

Hatari target is accurate emulation and things that require it.  Basically
this means plain TOS, and with that there's really not use for network
emulation (no drivers that could be used with that emulation).

People using MiNT AFAIK normally care more about faster emulation than
accuracy to original machines, so they use Aranym.  Hatari has also been
lacking support for MMU and fast-RAM which are rather useful with MiNT, and
additionally Aranym supports several otherMiNT NatFeats drivers besides
networking.

	- Eero