Re: [hatari-users] Support for using USB-Serial converter as Midi IN/OUT device in Hatari on Mac OS X?

Hello,

On 26 February 2012 20:51, Eero Tamminen <oak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On lauantai 25 helmikuu 2012, Frank Danapfel wrote:
>> If I use http://code.google.com/p/macosxvirtualserialport/ to create a
>> virtual serial setup on OS X with "socat" similar to the one described
>> in the "Midi and networking" section in
>> http://hg.tuxfamily.org/mercurialroot/hatari/hatari/raw-file/tip/doc/mid
>> i-linux.txt I'm able to start two instances of Hatari on OS X and run
>> MidiMaze2 in both of them and have them communicate with each other.
>>
>> But if I try to use the physical USB device on Mac OS X Hatari 1.6.1
>> hangs on startup when I  set the following in hatari.cfg:
>>
>> [Midi]
>> bEnableMidi = TRUE
>> sMidiInFileName = /dev/tty.usbmodemfd141
>> sMidiOutFileName = /dev/tty.usbmodemfd141
>>
>> Hatari gets as far as opening the main window, but then the Atari screen
>> inside stays black and I have to force quit the app. I'm using the
>> Hatari 1.6.1 version for Mac Os X available at
>> http://jerome.vernet.pagesperso-orange.fr/emulateurs.html.
>>
>> In the Terminal I'm able to access /dev/tty.usbmodemfd141 as the same
>> user running Hatari without problems, so I'm almost certain that it is
>> not a permissions problem. Does anybody here have  a suggestion on how
>> to get this working?
>
> How these USB devices work?  Do they have flow control etc like serial ports
> of the old days have?

The Arduino basically acts like a standard USB-to-serial converter,
just with Midi plugs at the other end instead of the 9-pin serial
connector. So it should act like a normal serial port.

> Do they expect something to connect to the other end
> before first connector can proceed (like e.g. happens with midi)?

No, it doesn't make a difference if anything is connected to the other
end or not. As far as I can see it looks like Hatari hangs trying to
open /dev/tty.usbmodemfd141.

If you know if there is a command like "strace" on OS X I could try to
get a trace of the function calls to see what exactly is happening.

Frank