[hatari-users] Support for using USB-Serial converter as Midi IN/OUT device in Hatari on Mac OS X?

Hello,

I'm one of the crazy folks still regularly playing MidiMaze2 with a couple of friends on original Atari Hardware (see http://www.midimaze.de). Since the Ataris aren't getting any younger we've been starting to look into alternatives to be able to continue playing this game even if one of our original Atars finally gives up completely.Therefore I've started looking at the possibilities of running MidiMaze 2 on an Hatari on Linux or Mac OS X and connect it to a Atari Midi ring via an Arduino Uno acting as an USB to Serial-Midi converter (using a standard USB-Midi dongle didn't work since MidiMaze apparently does not use regular Midi commands).

On Linux I was able to get this setup working and have MidiMaze2 running on Hatari communicating via the Arduino with Midimaze2 on an Atari TT over the standard Midi-Ports.

If I use http://code.google.com/p/macosxvirtualserialport/ to create a virtual serial setup on OS X with "socat" similar to the one described in the "Midi and networking" section in http://hg.tuxfamily.org/mercurialroot/hatari/hatari/raw-file/tip/doc/midi-linux.txt I'm able to start two instances of Hatari on OS X and run MidiMaze2 in both of them and have them communicate with each other.

But if I try to use the physical USB device on Mac OS X Hatari 1.6.1 hangs on startup when I  set the following in hatari.cfg:

[Midi]
bEnableMidi = TRUE
sMidiInFileName = /dev/tty.usbmodemfd141
sMidiOutFileName = /dev/tty.usbmodemfd141

Hatari gets as far as opening the main window, but then the Atari screen inside stays black and I have to force quit the app. I'm using the Hatari 1.6.1 version for Mac Os X available at http://jerome.vernet.pagesperso-orange.fr/emulateurs.html.

In the Terminal I'm able to access /dev/tty.usbmodemfd141 as the same user running Hatari without problems, so I'm almost certain that it is not a permissions problem. Does anybody here have  a suggestion on how to get this working?

Thanks,
Frank