Re: [hatari-devel] Regression in Falcon sound

Le 17/04/2024 à 08:14, Miro Kropáček a écrit :
On Fri, 12 Apr 2024 at 20:39, Nicolas Pomarède <npomarede@xxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:npomarede@xxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    I confirm I get the same result as you did, there's some kind of
    randomness that makes it a little more difficult to reproduce
    exactly on
    every run.

    For now, I don't know why there's this regression but as it involves
    DSP
    it's not sure that it's related to the very recent changes I made to
    DMA
    audio.

    I will try to get some time to bisect, but even so this could imply
    quite some changes, as Falcon audio still uses some "float" types to
    mix
    at different frequencies and this can give too much rounding errors
    that
    accumulate over time and can cause drift or "jump" in the sound buffer.
    The plan is to replace this with integer math that "self adjusts" over
    time to keep rounding unnoticable (as done for YM2149 and STE/TT audio)

    It's quite possible it will be fixed after Hatari 2.5 is released, else
    I'm afraid this would postpone the release for too long :(

Concerning the release, wouldn't it be wiser to revert all that recent DMA changes before release? If I understand the situation correctly, none of the things reported by Anders were happening before and the changes were introduced because of my obscure test case (which was wrong code anyway which just happened to work on real hardware).

Hi

the changes that were made based on your test program (even if your code was wrong anyway) and also on Laurent's demo/game were useful as we now have a correct behaviour for the SOUNDINT/SNDINT DMA signal that was confirmed on real Falcon (and also some demos in our compatibility list are now sounding correct instead of being wrong before)

The cases reported by Anders are involving DSP, so it needs more time to be checked / fixed, it could be related or not

Let's do a release now with its pros and cons, and maybe later if I (or someone else) has time to fix the DSPMOD issue another release can be made in a short period of time.