Re: [hatari-devel] SCC options

Am Sat, 6 Jan 2024 00:01:35 +0200

> Hi,
>
> On 5.1.2024 23.40, Nicolas Pomarède wrote:
> > Le 05/01/2024 à 22:10, Eero Tamminen a écrit :
> >> RS232 & MIDI have only input & output file options.
> >>
> >> Why SCC A & B port have additional short-hand option for giving same
> >> file for both input & output?
> >>
> >> I'm asking because that's a bit inconsistent, and Thomas has earlier
> >> recommended avoiding extra options (because Hatari has already so many
> >> of them).
> >
> > short answer : I don't know :)
> >
> > At first there was only the scc-b-out option, scc-b and scc-b-in were
> > present but commented.
> > So I un-commented them and added similar options for scc-a, but I don't
> > know where those namings come from at first, feel free to change them if
> > no one remember :)
>
> I see (from Git history), that Thomas had initially added those other
> options (for port-B) as commented out, and you just uncommented them and
> added similar ones for port-A.
>
> Thomas, did you have some specific reason for this minor inconsistency
> with MIDI & RS232 options (having extra convenience option for setting
> both input&output at same time, but only for SCC)?

I can't remember, but looking at the history, I first added the "--scc-b"
option (commit e2d62ee2f876a8) and then later the -out and -in options
(commit 300d3ee496980) - I assume it was initially not possible to use
separate file handles for input and output.
Anyway, I agree that it should be made consistent now with the other serial
options.