|Re: [hatari-devel] DSP issue on M1 Mac (not happening on x86_64)|
[ Thread Index |
| More lists.tuxfamily.org/hatari-devel Archives
- To: hatari-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Subject: Re: [hatari-devel] DSP issue on M1 Mac (not happening on x86_64)
- From: Laurent Sallafranque <laurent.sallafranque@xxxxxxx>
- Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2022 15:11:24 +0100
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/simple; d=free.fr; s=smtp-20201208; t=1672236684; bh=Z0gx23/p/ch6BPYZcSvLJGaoeGDPl5uS8mG5HgBSPXA=; h=Date:Subject:To:References:From:In-Reply-To:From; b=kLQpyhyFJNQz852/pJ+5DkI8/MUoWsWhXMVjYklrTQXTnyNKoVNjh2xScb/iRoIho CfB07MmXaGRyGrtF8p4W4g8jO0XQZF7g0945SKSZ50r4+dYAYPMOG282NRFDaAfnCY /hb8JskCHMbBQ8WtTNlLNCvKu8cjSZWguh159qBt4Vncf4Jf1alzLqo+dPA/sDWKUu z0XLN0EXhksCRWUZAsqMwIsWhR54c1Vi4MLXZdaP+wvRSrwrxrzyW3vrcI7EdssYbF 7Hr0aatJVnkwBDmRfMUMEP2+4atyAZqiTnKoB4zEmdbEFe27QaKxJkhfr4JyDki7V3 x2BKbNmKx9D5g==
I've also recently encountered a decrease in sound quality with certain
I also believe, like Nicolas, that the problem is related to double
At least, that would be the first step to fix before searching anything
Le 28/12/2022 à 15:07, Nicolas Pomarède a écrit :
Le 28/12/2022 à 15:02, Andreas Grabher a écrit :
Am 28.12.2022 um 14:54 schrieb Nicolas Pomarède
Only the DSP core is used (dsp_core.c, dsp_cpu.c and dsp_disasm.c).
As far as I can tell they do not use any floating point numbers.
Le 28/12/2022 à 14:49, Andreas Grabher a écrit :
this issue affects Previous, but because Previous shares most of
its DSP simulation with Hatari (with minor additions like DMA) it
might also affect Hatari. In some DSP music demo I am getting a
cracking noise when running on an M1 Mac. Running on an x86_64 Mac
there very same demo does not suffer from that noise.
Did someone experience a similar issue using Hatari on an M1 Mac?
Does someone have an idea where to start searching the bug?
can't tell if there're some cracking noises under Hatari recently.
but the DSP / crossbar part uses some floating point variables to
mix the different frequencies into the final audio stream. If
there's not enough precision this can give bad rounding and
artefacts in the sound.
Maybe M1 mac has different precision for float/double ?
indeed, only use of double's is in crossbar.c
falcon uses crossbar.c for outputing sound, if next/previous has some
different HW that only use the DSP core I'm not sure this can be