Re: [hatari-devel] Debugger features ideas/wishes

On Thu, Sep 9, 2021 at 10:45 PM Miro Kropáček <miro.kropacek@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, 9 Sept 2021 at 20:00, Eero Tamminen <oak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> > * debugger config option for disassembly offset
>>
>> When using fixed offset from PC (say "pc-16"),
>> instruction at PC was incorrect in disassembly
>> more often than not.
>>
>> (This was easy to test with my patch in the other
>> mail that allows setting breakpoint for every
>> debug symbol address.)
>>
>> Therefore Miro, this is definitely not a feature
>> to be enabled by default, although it has worked
>> well enough for you.  I'm not sure it's even
>> worth pushing to Hatari repo. :-(
>
> I'm sorry, I still haven't gotten into testing this. If the results are less than encouraging, perhaps this can't be solved by a simple patch. If I were implementing this, I would certainly try to cheat a little -- for instance, there's a pretty big probability that the past N instructions are located "above" current PC. So I would take the closest one to the top of the screen border and go with disassembly from there (naturally, showing only the portion which fits into the screen).
>
> If it was a long jump directly onto the breakpoint then this wont work but maybe the approach above will flip the statistics from "more often than not". :) I'm sure there are other heuristics to take into account, this was just the first thing which came into my mind.
>
> --
> http://mikro.atari.org

I think what Eero says about labels and highlighting is a powerful concept.
I mentioned scrolling the disassembly back and forth (realtime). Your eyes
are an extreme quantum supercomputer for catching things. All you need is
a 'C=64 simple' and convenient disassembler/monitor. Bcc and Jmp instructions
with simple addressing modes usually point to good opcodes. Also, one does
come across data (variables, modified code, etc) between opcodes. A little
practice with scrolling and you will be a wizzard at disassembly.