Re: [hatari-devel] TAT's debugger

Le 28/08/2021 à 10:44, Matthias Arndt a écrit :
> Am Thu, 26 Aug 2021 22:26:40 +0200
> schrieb Nicolas Pomarède <npomarede@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>
>> Le 26/08/2021 à 20:41, Troed Sångberg a écrit :
>>> I did - it was discussed on #atariscne IRC a few times during
>>> development. I haven't had time to test it yet but considering the
>>> demoscene origin I expect I will love it :)
>>>
>>> The obvious question then becomes whether to mainline the new
>>> debugger interface.
>> Hi
>>

>> just had a look at the screenshot, and there're definitely some good
>> ideas. Maybe we need to let Tat settle things first and then see how
>> it could be added to main hatari.
>> the gfx debugger is nice (although I have a
>> much-better-never-released version myself as a stand alone 68000
>> program :) )
>>
>>  From what I understand, the debugger UI uses a separate dir + some
>> patches to support sending commands over TCP to hatari, so it seems
>> quite posible to do, depending on Tat's will.
>>
>> Nicolas
>>

> Froma user's point of view I'd keep the TCP port idea. I think that is
> the best way to go + it will allow remote debugging as well.
>
> Also the actual debugger GUI can be replaced.
> Roll your own GUI? No problem
> Plugin for IDE x? Could be done aswell
>
> I like it and I will surely give it a test when I find time. (In
> September I'll have some holidays.)
>
> Best regards,
> Matthias

Hello,

I gave the debugger GUI a try. I was never comfortable with text
debuggers and this UI reminds me a lot Adebug that I used a lot back in
the days. It adds a lot of features also, as the ability to display the
ST screen from the current display address or from any other address in
memory. For a democoder, it's quite useful to be able to single step the
code and see the screen buffer behind drawn at the same time - the kind
of thing that I would have loved back in the days.

So +1 to keep at least the TCP port idea. The choosen port number is awesome btw :)

Regards