|Re: [hatari-devel] Suggestion for small change to documentation|
[ Thread Index |
| More lists.tuxfamily.org/hatari-devel Archives
- To: hatari-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Subject: Re: [hatari-devel] Suggestion for small change to documentation
- From: Thomas Huth <th.huth@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2021 06:02:50 +0100
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/simple; d=posteo.de; s=2017; t=1615093372; bh=/klveVnRnd9vG8Y2ywkej8z3uxD4Z4Vf9ad5moDyFSE=; h=Date:From:To:Subject:From; b=NBQIpClcBLVTQVfgXuN0MgQnYvDYPttxHyBwo6E5usHFI9asFGByT+dhRNMhil8Xw LqLmbMckIGnCurljL1l6snbfBbuIXL6ASo15qYKpRKnh/BR0XSfSzVNiqxAaEP8iga frqm6jwF6V8RCRujQZRJbEVY7Sw+ueqUMxQA+Jo+BuTu/bFRRQM6HWJnIqYW3sHecP 5KlZq8bMq30RlhzO0DtolrdIPgC469lMzJYuOCrNrILx2kRrz+uowBNb13jUhlex4p r4TlBW1GnblvTWL951EOnbA/3XvERRnabiaMvSu3Kd33/JtPlSs+Jus3O1pJWDuTRQ 3GdsNs1h8FDHg==
Am Thu, 04 Mar 2021 16:53:39 -0500
schrieb "Roger Burrows" <anodyne@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> I happened to read the README-first.txt file of Hatari release 2.3.1,
> and it says (re the version of EmuTOS shipped):
> "However, if you want to play games or watch demos, you should better
> use an original TOS ROM image since some games and demos do not work
> very well with EmuTOS yet."
> That's not bad, although a little discouraging. So I thought I'd see
> what it said for the oldest online version (1.2.0) which is from
> 2009. Perhaps unsurprisingly (because we all know about keeping
> documentation current), it says exactly the same thing.
> IMO, due to the efforts of many people, EmuTOS is a lot more
> compatible these days than it used to be, although there are still
> problems with some games and demos. And doc/emutos.txt reflects that
> very fairly, so thanks to everyone for keeping that current!
> But in order not to discourage newcomers to Hatari/EmuTOS too much,
> perhaps the text in README-first.txt could be changed to something
> "EmuTOS is compatible with almost all Atari software, including most
> games and demos. However, some games and demos do not work properly
> with EmuTOS, so you would need to use an original Atari TOS ROM image
> to run them. For more detailed information, please see
Sounds like a good suggestion! Maybe we could also add some rationale
for the incompatibilities in there, a la: "However, some games and
demos do not work properly with EmuTOS (since they are hard-coded to
the layout of one of the original TOS versions for example), so you
would need..." ?
Anyway, the README-first.txt is not part of the git repo, so I hope
Nicolas can update that for the next release when he copies that file
over into the new package.